Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Welcome, and "What is a Safety Goron?"

Welcome to my blog!

This blog is a very lighthearted attempt to discuss a very serious subject: homeland security, and more explicitly, the role of individual citizens therein. While the title may seem whimsical, the collection of articles, polls, resources, and advice that will (hopefully) collect here are all legitimate offerings that provide practical, real-world solutions for people, or provide information and insight (and often a request for discussions) on important homeland security-related topics. I decided to start this blog because I realized that my personal blog was directing more and more into my professional life, and I decided the two should really be separate.

So, what is a Safety Goron?

A Goron is a fictional race in the Legend of Zelda video game franchise that exists to eat rocks, challenge one another (and the occasional legendary hero) to demonstrations of great strength, and generally play with fire. They're also a safety-minded bunch of folk, who offer the player tips and tricks to remain safe during the course of the game. These tips come in many varieties of usefulness and absurdity, with a few of my favorites as follows:

1. If you roll forward when jumping from a great height, you won't get hurt.
2. Swing your sword while on fire to put out the flames.
3. Wearing a tunic made of red fabric will protect you from the heat of a volcano.

I've been known to nag people about safety habits. I get paid to do that. Unfortunately, I apparently sound like these fictional characters, because my siblings promptly christened me the "Safety Goron" after they played a Zelda game for the first time. The name was so appropriate I adopted it in good humor, and now I've bequeathed it to my blog.

So, I hope you'll join me on this adventure...life is always exciting, even when you're on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment